With changing seasons and cooler air it's not uncommon for our pets to experience more dry skin this time of the year. You may see flaky skin, hot spots and even loss of hair. Here are some tips to help your pet maintain healthy skin and coat this season.
With changing seasons and cooler air, it is not uncommon for our pets to experience more dry skin this time of the year. You may see flaky skin, hot spots and even loss of hair. Here are some tips to help your pet maintain healthy skin and coat this season:
- It is always a good idea to look at what you are feeding. Often times a diet heavy in carbohydrates lacks protein and therefore amino acids. These are essential in maintaining healthy hair follicles and preventing skin issues. In addition, low protein foods tend to contain less than ideal quantities of omega 3 fatty acids which are needed to maintain healthy coat.
- It is beneficial to supplement our pet's diet with omega 3 fatty acids. Not only is it important for skin and coat but helps with other inflammatory conditions in the body, such as arthritis. It is also great for healthy heart as well as brain development. DHA in omegas help to slow down the progression of cognitive disorders in senior pets. We recommend salmon oil, sardine oil or fish stock. If you suspect your pet is sensitive to animal proteins, you can use hempseed or coconut oil as an alternative.
- Give your pet treats naturally high in omega fatty acids. Our favorites include Honest Kitchen, Icelandic fish skins or Plato Baltic sprats. Kitties also love these and they make great dental treats!
- When bathing your pet, opt for a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner containing oatmeal or lanolin. If your pet is prone to yeast issues, we recommend using something else such as shampoo containing hempseed oil.
- Do not forget to brush your pet regularly. Not only does brushing help to prevent matting, it helps to spread natural skin oils and prevent dryness.
If you have any questions about diet or supplements, please stop by the store and talk to one of our friendly associates. We look forward to helping you!